Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Successful Meal #2

This one won't win any awards in the Healthy Department, but it worked.

I remember reading years ago that the secret to not stressing out over planning a meal is to remember that, really, you just need two things. For example, spaghetti and a salad.

(Unfortunately, none of my kids like spaghetti or salad.)

Anyway, in that spirit, we had:

1) Aunt Ella's macaroni and cheese.

No, it's not a frozen meal; it's the name of the recipe. It is goood. I think what makes it extra good and a little unique is that it has onions, nutmeg, an egg, and dry mustard in it. I think next time I will put in some extra noodles, to stretch it out and make it a little less rich.

2) Canned peas.

I'm not crazy about peas myself, but usually two out of three kids will enjoy them. I think I'm going to start getting frozen peas instead, though. Is frozen supposed to be better than canned? Anyone? Anyone?

[Note: The next day I served the leftover macaroni and cheese and found a can of chickpeas in the pantry. I heated them up and served them on the side. Rachael and Benjamin loved them, and Rebecca ate a few as well, so I definitely have to remember to keep some of them on hand.

Of course, knowing my kids, I'll buy several cans, and then everybody will decide they don't like them anymore.]

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I say definitely go with frozen. While I personally find canned veggies yucky and reminiscent of school cafeteria food, some say that in certain circumstances, frozen may even be preferable to fresh, see [here](http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bnutrition/0,,3w7g,00.html)

Nicole said...

hmmm... that link didn't work out for me, but hopefully if you copy and paste, it will work. If not, just google "frozen vs caned vegetables"

Kate said...

My husband will only eat the frozen, since they aren't mushy like canned peas are. And they are so easy to make the quantity you want!