Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Kids who "look like they're homeschooled"

Rachael, age 8, joined a community children's choir this fall, and her first concert is this weekend.

When we came home from rehearsal tonight, I was asking her a little bit about it, and if she gets a chance to talk with the other kids, etc.

I said (among other things), "Do you know if any of the other kids are homeschooled?"

She said, "Yes, I think so." Pause. "There are a couple who look like they are homeschooled."

My ears perked up. [Since homeschooling "didn't exist" when I was a kid, I was really curious what a homeschool kid looks like to other kids.] I said, "Really? What does that mean? What does a homeschool kid look like?"

She said, "Well, the kids in Bible Study [homeschool CBS] are different from the kids in dance class who go to school."

"Really?" I pulled up a chair. The journalist in me was practically set to whip out a notepad and pencil. "Can you explain what it is?"

To myself, I'm thinking, Are the homeschooled kids nicer? More mature? Dress less trendy? Talk less about pop culture? What? What???

Finally, after mulling it over best she could, she said, "Well ... for example, there's one boy there. I saw him write something, and it was with these really blocky letters, and it was really messy, and I thought -- 'He must be homeschooled!'"

Oh well.

5 comments:

Elysa said...

Oh my! I didn't know MY sons were in the choir!!!!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, maybe it's just my school district, but my home schooled child has far better handwriting than what I see from other kids, and he's a boy! That's okay though, a relative of mine that is against home schooling told my husband he hoped we would at least teach our kids to type since writing is becoming obsolete (big eye roll).

Julie Wells said...

That's hilarious! Sounds like something my husband would say (kiddingly, of course).

sitgo said...

Too funny! Makes me want to ask my kids!

sitgo said...

Funny! Makes me want to ask my kids!