Sunday, September 2, 2007

Parenting According to Baby Blues

Yup. I've always really liked comic strip books.

Some of my earliest memories were buying cheap paperback Peanuts books at the book fair in my elementary school in New Jersey.

In college, I often spent Saturday nights alone in my dorm room with a package of cookies and a Cathy book. (Yes, I know, how sad is that?)

Big big fan of Bloom County when I was teenager. Calvin and Hobbes. Early Dilbert! More recently, Baby Blues.

Well about an hour ago I suddenly had an interesting idea ...

Back in the 60's a minister named Robert L. Short traveled around doing seminars of Bible lessons using Peanuts strips as the basis. He is Very Cool. He also wrote at least two books:

The Gospel According to Peanuts
http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Peanuts/dp/0664222226/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-4314719-3811812?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188758949&sr=1-2

The Parables of Peanuts
http://www.amazon.com/Parables-Peanuts-Robert-L-Short/dp/0060011610/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4314719-3811812?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188759005&sr=1-1

Well.

It ocurred to me that, often when I read Baby Blues, I'll actually analyze it and think, "See, the parents should have done this differently ..." or "That's not the right attitude, because ..."

So later this week I am going to try a little column here called "Parenting According to Baby Blues," where I post a strip and then make a Deep (or not-so-deep) point about it.

Stay tuned ...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I can't wait to see this, Jenny! LOL.