Saturday, June 20, 2009

I finally discovered Tori Amos!

Ever since college I've been a fan of Kate Bush. Wonderful, Hugely-Underappreciated-in-America Kate Bush, who is an amazing songwriter, musician, producer, dancer, choregrapher, and all-around Brilliant Genius.





Sometime in the 90's, when I used to spend a lot more time in my car, I heard a song called "Cornflake Girl" on the radio. I thought, "Oh wow, does Kate Bush have something new out?"

No, turned out it was someone named Tori Amos.


Who's that?

Was she someone I should like? Or should she tick me off for daring to try to copy Kate the Billiant Genius? Was she just another in a somewhat tired line of 90's female artists, like Sheryl Crow, Joan Osborne, Sarah McClaughlin, Courtney Love, and Alanis Morisette?

It was a question that, believe it or not, sort of dimly lingered in the back of my mind for over a decade. I kept thinking I was going to "research" Tori Amos, and then never did. I later realized she did a song called "Crucify," which had never particularly impressed me. Eh, I thought, probably just a lame wannabe.

And then, two nights ago, I happened to stumble on Tori Amos on VH1 Storytellers. I watched it. I watched it twice. I did searches to read the lyrics.

And ...

Oh Yes. No one else can be Kate, but Tori is Quite Amazing.

The one thing I think she does have over Kate is that she is a better piano player. Also, she scores an extra point for being a redhead (and quite a quirky one at that).

Watch "Precious Things" to see what I mean.

(Warning: When I graduated college, my roommate Sara said to me, "Of all the many many things you always listened to, the only one I really couldn't tolerate was Kate Bush." Yes, she is quite an acquired taste, and I think Tori could be as well.)

4 comments:

Nicole said...

*sigh* Jen, Jen, Jen... if only I had known. We should talk music someday. I have pretty much every Tori cd ever released. Except the newest. I've been to a few of her concerts; She's incredible. And for my money, Tori is so much better than Kate, sorry. Oh, She's actually naturally a brunette, but, she's a redhead at heart;) I'll let you borrow some cds if you'd like:)

Donna said...

I used to listen to Tori Amos (in my pre-kid days). I really liked her. I had kind of forgotten about her but read about her lately, did she just release something new?

mrpro said...

congrats!!
Thanks for Joining Tori Amos Lyrics--check out my actual website 'Obsessed Much--Tori Amos'
www.obsessedmuch.envy.nu

Have a good one!
btw...Spark is the song that grabbed my attention, back in 1998.

PARADOX - PSYCHE said...

BEING IN LOVE WITH KATE BUSH -I FOLLOWED THE SAME THREAD - IN MY OPINION TORI AMOS " SCARLETS WALK " CD FROM ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO IS THE NEXT BEST THING WE HAVE TO THE REAL THING