Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Movie Night Update (AKA "Lazy Post #2")

Boy, talk about Lazy Posts.

Since I've don't feel like Truly Writing, I'll just post some images of what we've been watching lately for Friday Pizza and Movie Night.



I originally saw A Bug's Life in the theater with Robert back before we had kids (and back when I went to the movie theater more than once every two years.)

I knew I enjoyed it then, but had forgotten how good it was. I was a little worried that it would be too scary for the kids, but they enjoyed it (although it was particularly difficult to get them all calmed down and in bed that night).

**********************************************************************

Does anyone remember those Disney movies about college student Dexter Riley, back when Kurt Russell was young and cute? (As opposed to Older, but Still Rather Cute):



The girls liked this one a lot. Benjamin liked it too, because it had a lot of cars in them. (Albeit invisible ones, at times.)

As a kid, I thought the two main characters reminded me of Micky and Peter from the Monkees. I was actually a little surprised to see that they still did.

**************************************************************************
And finally, we saw the movie that I knew would be a SobFest for me .....




Yup. Dumbo.

I cried through about half of it.

What's interesting is that for some reason I had a record (yes, record) of the soundtrack when I was a kid, but I don't know if I actually ever saw the movie. Anyway, it was weird to instantly remember the songs even though I had not heard them for decades.

I was amused to read some negative reviews on Amazon that said "Dumbo" was a very racist movie because the crows were depicted as being black. Well gee, considering that the crows
a) had the best song in the whole show; and b) were the only supporting characters with any redeeming qualities whatsoever ... well, um, that seems like a good thing to ,e.

The kids and I watched it again today. I cried again, although a little less this time, and was convinced that it was one of the sweetest, most touching movies I've ever seen.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I have never actually seen Dumbo, but even the photo you posted makes me want to tear up a little. Maybe we'll rent that for family movie night, which I hope we'll be having tomorrow....