Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I'd better appreciate this while it lasts ...

This weekend Rachael (who is 8 years old) came up to me while I was playing the piano and said, "When I grow up, I want to be just like you!"

For a moment I thought she meant that she wanted to play the piano as well as me. (She is learning to play the piano herself, and is quite good at it.)

But then I realized that she had just been eating a cake I made, and I have heard her say in the past that "Mom bakes really good cakes." [Further evidence that I might actually be a good cook.]

So I asked her, "Do you mean that you want to play the piano like I do? Or that you want to bake cakes like I do? Or something else?"

She said happily, "All of it. You're such a good mom."

But wait!

It didn't stop there!

Later that day, she asked me, "How did you get to be such a good mom when you were the youngest in your family?"

And the next day we were reading Happy Birthday Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle together. I couldn't help muttering, mostly to myself, "Well, if this girl is having trouble being messy and unorganized, why don't the parents help her learn what to do with her stuff? That's what I would do."

"Yes," said Rachael quickly, "but you're not like other moms."

Rebecca agreed.

So I'm not sure exactly what I was doing this weekend ... but it's nice to know I was probably doing something right!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

From the mouths of babes! I'm so glad she appreciates you-- and I'm sure she's right about it all!