Thursday, August 30, 2007

Our happy, productive morning

Some mornings I'm able to get a lot done. I'm not sure how, or why some days are different that others.

Keep in mind, of course, that "get a lot done" is relative. I remember once hearing a mother of young children say, "These days I'm impressed with myself if I've showered and cooked dinner!"

This morning at breakfast I had the sudden urge to clean out the entire fridge. I started unloading the food and pulling the shelves out, and Rachael (age 6) asked to help. She took the food out, scrubbed and rinsed the shelves, then sprayed cleaner and wiped down the inside of the fridge.
In the middle of all this, Rebecca (age 4) appeared in the kitchen. "Can I help too?" she asked.

Wow, did I luck out this morning!

So Rebecca helped take the food out of the refrigerator door and put the food back when we were done cleaning.
It was very fun. And I love it when the fridge is clean.

While I showered, Rebecca made this card to mail to her friend Griffin:



By 9:30 am not only was the fridge clean, but the dishwasher was unloaded, the trash was brought to the curb, a load of laundry was put in, and me and all three Beans were dressed, in the van listening to the Indigo Girls, and arriving at The Playroom.
If you live in the area and have kids, you should really check out The Playroom:
We were there for two hours. Both girls jumped on the trampolines, jumped off the tower into the foam pit over and over again, walked on the balance beam, and played in the inflatable castle.
Rebecca went into the toy room for a while and played with the dolls.
Baby Benjamin liked the wading pool full of plastic balls, the huge bouncy balls, and all the toys.
I myself found jumping on the trampoline very therapeutic.
Went home and had eggs, sausage, and toast for lunch. Baby screamed that he wanted a nap immediately. The other three of us piled into bed and read a couple books. And bed felt so good that I stayed there for a while as the girls ... well, I'm not sure what the girls did ... they were in the room, maybe coloring or something ...
WAAH! WAAH! WAAH! WAAH!
That never lasts long enough ...

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great day that you will treasure.

Deanne said...

When you've found joy in cleaning out the fridge, and your kids are eagerly helping you, life is good!!! Sounds like a wonderful morning. Thanks for sharing. :)