Thursday, January 17, 2008

Cinderella lives here

Rachael is playing at being Cinderella today. She set up a "bed" for herself by the fireplace and is cleaning the house ... sweeping the floor, putting things away, etc, without me even saying anything.

So this is a good game for me! :)

It's also a good game for Rebecca, who gets to throw things on the floor when she's done with them and say, "Cinderella will take care of it."

What's funny is that I'm supposed to be the Evil Stepmother, and it's hard for me to be mean. I keep wanting to say things like, "Oh, thanks, Cinderella, it looks great!" but that doesn't sound very evil, now does it? I keep having to do the George Costanza thing of following the opposite of my instinct.

To use schoolish terms, we've been doing a "Cinderella Unit Study." We were talking about how the Disney versions are different from the original version, and that prompted me to check out a whole bunch of Cinderella stories from the library, including the DVD CinderElmo. (Which has Kerri Russell as the Princess, Kathy Bates as the stepmother, and French Stewart - from Third Rock - as the dog who becomes a coachman.

If you like humorous fairy tale satires, check out CinderEdna and Chickerella.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Just living in imagination lately :)

Jason says that Jared lives vicariously through video games :)

It's so great, my kids play so much too, I love actual re-enactments also.

Deanne said...

What fun! We read a whole bunch of versions of Cinderella a few years back too.