Tuesday, March 31, 2009

You Know You're from Pittsburgh When ...

Although I lived several places while growing up, Pittsburgh is, and always will be, dear to my heart and definitely my childhood home.

I found this on Facebook; I guess if you're not from Pittsburgh it won't mean much to you. It's much longer than this; I just trimmed it to the ones that I "got" the most:

*******************************************************************

You Know You're From Pittsburgh When ....


Words like: hoagie; chipped ham; pop; and gumband actually mean something to you.

You will defend with your life that it's called pop and not soda. [I don't; but I remember how everybody else did.]

You wake up to KDKA.

You go 'food shoppin' at 'Jine Iggle'.

Chipped ham was always in your refrigerator when you were growing up.

You know what is meant by "The Point".

You've ridden the two oldest surviving inclines in the world.

When you refer to "Jimmies", you're not talking about some a group of boys with the same name.

You find it fun to kill your brain cells while holding your breath through the tubes.

You can pronounce the word Duquesne. [It never occurred to me that other people wouldn't!]

You don't understand why people say "to be" before verbs. "My car needs washed" or "my hair needs cut" works just fine. [Like the "pop" thing, I don't really do this myself, but I can spot it a mile away.]

You say "You guys" even if you're referring to a group of all girls. [Oh yeah. Now this one, I do.]

You have a picture of you when you were younger with the pirate parrot.

You know what Eat 'N Park is and the song that goes with it...Eat N Parks the place...for...SMILES.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

You remember waiting for KDKA to flash your school name for a 2-hour delay.

You know that Mars and Moon aren't just in outer space.

You remember what Horne's was.

You measure distance in hours.

Your mother or grandmother has been seen
wearing a "babushka" on her head.

You own more than one original Terrible Towel.

You walk carefully when it is "slippy" outside.

You tell your children to "red up" their rooms.

You don't see what all the hype is about Disney World when Kennywood is just around the corner.

You know who Donnie Iris is!! [YES!!!]

********************************************
Oh, and what was that other local band, the one with initials ...? "I'm sure they sell ... VITAMIN L! It makes all things well ..."

I also remember eating Klondike bars at Isaly's ...

1 comment:

Your Johnston Elem Friend! :) said...

Non-natives pronounce Duquesne as "do-qwes-knee"

I'm raising my kids as true Pittsburgh kids (even though we don't live there). They've ridden the incline, the gateway clipper and been through the tubes. They've also been to Kennywood more than they have been to Disney. My