Friday, November 14, 2008

Who is homeschooling -- Or -- Do I look old enough to be a grandmother?

Several months ago I was in Barnes and Noble with Rachael and ended up buying a book for her; I can't even remember what. I very rarely buy things at bookstores anymore because I either use Amazon or the library.

At the register I said suddenly, "Oh! My daughter homeschools. Is there some sort of discount or something we get?"

The woman gave the discount, and then started explaining that my daughter needed to come in some time and fill out an Educator Card or something. She added, "You could use it too, if you continue to buy books for your granddaughter."

Now, I was 38 at the time, and I certainly hope -- although lately I am not sure -- that I don't look old enough to have a school-age grandchild.

When I told my own mother this story, she said, "Well, you said it wrong. You're the adult. You're the one who homeschools, not Rachael."

I never like it, though, when I hear women say, "I homeschool my children" or even things like "I taught my children how to read."

Yes, you're probably thinking this is very strange of me to be splitting hairs like this, and that I should get up and go do something useful, and that with posts like these I'll certainly never be nominated for any blog awards ..... but to me there is something arrogant-sounding about saying it that way.

I don't "homeschool Rachael." It's not something I do to her. She is the one who homeschools. She is the one who is learning. She is the one who is homeschooling as opposed to attending school.

Yes, I know: Shut up and go get a life. I think I'll go eat a cookie now.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I always say, "WE homeschool", never really thought about it, that's just how it always comes out...but I guess it makes sense. I'm certainly involved, the kids are too.

If you said your daughter home schools, I'd probably be a little confused too, just because I've never heard a mom say it that way.

No, you don't look like a grandmother :).

Anonymous said...

I always say "WE homeschool", too, or "our family homeschools":) You don't look like a grandma. I was offered the senior discount at Publix several months ago by some highschool girl whose pretty little neck I wanted to wring, so you are not alone. -Nicole