Friday, December 5, 2008

By popular request -- the songs I remember

Kim, my buddy from Johnston elementary (who I danced with in the fourth grade talent show to "Stayin Alive"!) asked me what songs I remembered singing in chorus, as I mentioned in my Christmas MEME.

There were so many I decided to make it a separate post:

Sung to the "American Bandstand" tune, although I did not know it at the time:
Come on and boogie ... Come on and boogie with me ... come on and boogie around the Christmas tree ...
and, later:
Let's get together, and sing a carol or two ... we'll build a snowman, and decorate him like you ...


(some sort of song about Pablo, a Mexican reindeer)
Without him ... Santa would not know where he's going ... ay-yi-yi-yi,
Without him ... he would not know if it was snowing ... South of the Border?
Pablo can do the cha-cha-cha,
He makes the children laugh, ha-ha
All the muchachos shout, "Ole!"
"Pablo, please hurry back!" they say.


In fifth grade I was in "Special Chorus" (which was an audition-only group, but it sounds like we're retarded or something) and we did a very simple song and dance routine to "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" with batons wrapped in red and white paper to look like Christmas canes.

I also remember the entire cast of the chorus's version of Alice in Wonderland in fifth grade. (Kim and I were cards, which is a nice way of saying we failed the audition.)

And, of course, who could forget going to King's for ice cream after a concert? I still have a Pavlovian desire to go get ice cream after I perform.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I was in the "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" thing, too. At least, I remember dancing with a candy-cane striped baton. At least, I think I remember that. Maybe it was just wishful thinking?

Jenny said...

Yes, you were definitely in it. You were a much better singer than me. I believe you and Megan (and not me) were also in Special Chorus the year before and did the Peter Paul and Mary song, which I really liked: ("an apple, a pear, a plum, a cherry, any good thing to make us all merry, one for Peter, two for Paul, three for Him who made us all...")