Friday, January 9, 2009

Over two hundred dollars for groceries??

I must be doing something wrong when I go to the grocery store.

But I'm not sure what it is.

Yesterday I went to Publix -- yes, with all three kids -- and we ended up spending $234.

What's even more amazing is that the receipt said that I saved $31 by buying sale items.

In addition, the milk, apple juice, eggs, orange juice, sour cream, cream cheese, diapers, rice, and kidney beans were all generic items.

It would make sense if I weren't going back to the grocery store for almost another month. But I can pretty much guarantee you that I'll need to go back within a week, or sooner, for milk and fruit, if nothing else.

No, I don't use coupons. I'm one of those people who sort of "doesn't believe in coupons." That probably sounds stupid. But really, in my experience, most coupons in the paper or for things we shouldn't be buying anway, and/or that would be almost as cheap if I bought the generic version instead.

Any ideas? Is this crazy compared to your own grocery bill? (There are five people in our family.) Are groceries just expensive no matter what you do?

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yes groceries are just expensive!
I have one more kid than you and two are teen boys , you don't want to know our grocery bill.
I don't do coupons either because they are never for what I buy.
We shop at Whole Foods mostly and Kroger for a few things.

I have no advice although I've thought of having everyone just stop eating... Ha!

Unknown said...

Try going to Aldi's for some things. They don't have as many grocery items but you can save a bundle! You have to bring a quarter for the cart, buy or bring your own bags and pay in cash or debit card. Once you get used to it the deals are plentiful and the food pretty good!

~Julie

Teribear68 said...

I spend that every two weeks and there are only 3 of us. Plus we eat out absurd numbers of times a week.

Deanne said...

That's about what we spend for our family of five here in FL, and I do use coupons and shop at several stores to get the best deals at each.