Friday, March 7, 2008

Book Review - Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe

I recently joined a homeschool group in town, and someone was able to get this book for several of us at a bulk rate:

Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe by Todd Wilson

[Isn't an interesting that a man would write a book like that? And along those lines, I didn't care for the way he addressed the reader as "Mom" throughout the book. I'm not his mother.]

It's one of those books you can read in less than an hour -- which is a very good thing! :)

I would recommend it, since it's short and cute and cheap. It was not life-changing, but it was a good reminder. And possibly there are other women out there who could be helped greatly by reading it.

Here are some of my thoughts and observations:

1) There are several cartoons and most of them are pretty funny. For example, one has the title of "Dueling Homeschoolers":

First Woman: I bake my own bread.
Second Woman: I grind my own wheat.
FW: I grow my own wheat.
SW: I do genetic altering bio-technology of wheat.

2) I think this kind of thinking ("everyone's kids are better behave than mine, Everyone else's house is neater and cleaner than mine," etc) is true of almost all women, or at least almost all mothers. Homeschooling probably intensifies and broadens it. Why is that? Why do women compare themselves all the time?

3) The lie that probably hits me hardest is "Everyone fixes better meals than you." And I really do like to cook! It's just that I don't have much energy for it these days, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't grind my own wheat.

From page 34:

This lie has sprung from pure motives of good people trying to help each other eat more healthily, but it has become a heavy weight most moms carry ... Good cooking catchphrases have become badges of spirituality.

Moms proudly announce that they bake their own bread ... grind their own wheat ... eliminate processed sugars ... eat only raw vegetables ... and love to throw a little chickweed on their salads.

Maybe you like to do some of those things I mentioned. If you do, that's great ... BUT keep it to yourself!

Yup, I've certainly felt that way. (That everyone else is eating and cooking better then me, I mean.)

I wouldn't agree, though, that you should keep it to yourself if you like to do those things. After all, doesn't he have a whole section about "being real." Also, if someone is so weak that they're going to crumble because someone else bakes all their bread, well, they need to get over it, as opposed to the Bread Baker hiding it so as not to upset anybody.

5) This part was odd to me, from page 44:

I would guess there aren't many moms who absolutely love homeschooling. Some enjoy parts of homeschooling, but some hate every part of homeschooling except the results.

So is he saying that a fair amount of women homeschool their kids for years, even though day after day, they hate doing it -- just because they believe it's "best" for their kids? Could that possibly be true??

Gosh, I tend to think if they feel that way, their kids would be better off in school, and these women would be better off spending their days doing something they actually enjoyed. It sounds like someone being "guilted" into doing something huge that they hate but are afraid to say no to .... How sad if that's true! And how odd that he doesn't address any of that, but instead just says, "Don't worry, you're not the only one who hates it." Wow.

Anyone else have any thoughts about that one?

6) Here's something Robert and I were talking about last night, from page 81:

God makes no mistakes. It's also true that God gave your children exactly the mother they needed ... If God wanted someone better than you to be your children's mother, He would have done that ... if you want someone better to teach your children, you'll find no one. You are the best. You're number one!

Huh??

So Susan Smith was the best mother those kids could possibly have?

What about all the people there who molest, hit, or constantly belittle their kids? Or are drunk half the time? They're "number one"? Are you kidding me?

Sorry, I just can't buy into the idea that just because God gave a person kids, they are doing a great job as a parent and everything they choose is just fine and dandy, because hey, they're the parent, and God ordained that.

I'm curious what others think of either the book in general, or any thoughts I posted above.

No comments: