Thursday, March 6, 2008

Rachael's going to school!

Wait! Don't pass out -- or cry!

Or cheer, as the case may be! :)

Rachael said she "wanted to go to school to see if it's fun" and the principal at our church's school said she could come be a guest student on St. Patrick's Day.

Rachael is so excited. She already picked an outfit and has it hanging up. She wants a lunch box. I said, "Um, why don't you just use the zippered lunch pouch you've used for camp?" She said something like, "No, I have to be like all the other kids!" Sheesh.

Her stuffed animal, "Lammie," immediately began sobbing hysterically when she heard the news. "I don't want Mommy to go to school!" she said in her little Lammie voice, shaking violently. "I'll never see her! She'll be gone all day!"

"It's just for one day," Rachael told Lammie calmly.

It's seven and a half hours ... what a long day. Seriously, what do people even DO in first grade these days? I think she's expecting they'll go from music class to painting time to recess to snack time ...

Anyone have a kid in elementary school? What is the day like? Is it a lot of writing and worksheets? A lot of fun things?

Stay tuned ...

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Can I cry just a little? I really hope it's not one of those *fun days* where they don't do the usual because it's a *holiday*

You know how I feel about school but she has to find out for herself obviously, I just hope she doesn't want to go for the wrong reasons because she will be disappointed for sure.

I have no clue what they do in 1st grade it all seems so pointless to me now that my 4th child is going to be 6 in June...

I hope it works out whichever way it is supposed to. She may want to go back but I can't imagine any child who has freedom will last very long in prison.

Anonymous said...

My son is age 7 and he always liked his school. In first grade his teacher was wonderful. They have a daily schedule they follow which includes reading, math, spelling, science, music, art and Spanish. Also recess, snacks and lunch. He did do worksheets, writing projects, book report and fun art projects. There are some performing arts programs during the year also.