Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mom the Musician

I just felt like writing, but I don't have much to say.

Thursday night I accompanied the choral concert at Wheeler High School. The girls (ages four and six) come with me when I do most concerts, which I think is really cool. They sit in the auditorium and color while we warm up and rehearse for about an hour, then they sit through the entire concert.

I think that's really neat on several levels:

1) They get to see some quality performances for free

2) They see that their mother does things other than make them oatmeal and do laundry

3) They get to learn concert ettiquette and how to occupy themselves quietly when there is a need

4) They get to see what teenagers act like and do with their time


Once I heard Rachael singing one of the songs ("O Sinner Man")at home. Not only was her pitch perfect, but she used choral diction which I thought was hilarious and REALLY COOL!

What was really exciting about this particular concert was that it was combined with a middle school. Being no dummy, I went up to the middle school director, introduced myself, and handed her my card ten minutes before the concert began. She said, "Oh, I could use you to play one of our pieces tonight!"

And I did! I have never done that before! And no way I could have successfully done that ten years ago.

So, it's always nice to think I'm actually getting good at something.

No comments: