Monday, April 21, 2008

Homeschooled kids and Socialization

About ten years ago, when homeschooling was newer and more rare (at least it seemed so to me), and before I kids, I worked at a public school and was having lunch with the other music teachers.

One of the teachers (who had schooled kids of her own) said, "My sisters' kids are homeschooled, and they're very socially backward children."

"How so?" I asked, always the journalist in conversations like this.

"They can't handle any kind of difficulty or problems; they just fall apart if the least thing goes wrong."

One of the other teachers (who also had a schooled child) nodded and said, "My neighbor's son is homeschooled. He's fourteen and doesn't have any friends his age. In the afternoons he comes over and plays with my son, who's only ten."

Now.

Here's a few thoughts I now have about that conversation:

1) If, in fact, a child "falls apart because they can't handle the slightest difficulty," maybe it's partly their personality. Maybe those kids were still very young. Maybe their parents are like that, and they're learning bad coping skills. Maybe their parents make them feel incapable.

Or ....

Maybe they're not different from other kids that age, but since they're homeschooled, people notice it at say, "Look! That kid's crying over spilled milk! It must be because they're homeschooled and can't handle anything!"

But it surely isn't because homeschooling=no difficulty or challenges in life. There are all kinds of opportunities in real life to have things go wrong and learn coping skills. You don't have to create them or go to school to find them.

2) I will admit, at the time, the idea of a fourteen year old boy having no one but a ten year old to ever hang out with did sound sad. But notice the assumptions we all made here: One, that coming over the neighbor's house was the only time the teenager saw other kids. Maybe he had great church friends on weekends, but they're busy (or live too far away) during the week. Maybe he went to a co-op, or was in a band, or had chess tournaments, or whatever, on a weekly basis.

Maybe he actually liked this ten year old child. Wouldn't that be a novel thing? Maybe they had common interests, even though they were different ages. Maybe the teenager was interested (whether consciously or not) or someday being a teacher, or a camp counselor or something, and the idea of being with somebody younger appealed to that part of him.

Maybe.

2 comments:

justjuls said...

I hate conversations like these. Why can't a homeschooled kid be shy, OCD, paranoid schizophrenic, socially awkward, or anything else we might add - and what do any of those things have to do with homeschooling? There are kids in the PS hand over fist lining up at the nurse's office hand over fist taking meds just to be able to cope. There are just as many socially awkward or repressed or dark or psychologically stunted kids in the schools (can anybody say Columbine?)- but somehow if kids with the same things are homeschooled we blame that. Urgh!

I have a 10 year old son - and let me just tell you - all the teenagers we know love to hang with him. Maybe the assumption is that he only has the 10 yo to play with - but perhaps he prefers them to his peers. I know a lot of kids who have chosen to enjoy childhood instead of entering the teen world early. Good for them. I play with people who are older and younger than me. What does that really matter? That really does annoy me.

Anonymous said...

I'm from the old-fashioned, pre-Ritalin generation, and I have to wonder if there isn't value in having to learn to get along with people you don't especially like, all while trying to learn whatever it is the teacher is presenting. For me, I feel it led to a series of value judgements bundled with hard lessons that ultimately led me to choose the most worthy and healthiest clique at my disposal (and make no mistake, they're all cliques in some form or another) before entering the slightly different college environment. My feeling is that having navigated encounters with who initially were antagonistic strangers has come in handy as an adult who spends time in public.
I tend to view public schools therefore (private schools much less so) as a microcosm of society with regard to moral choices. I'm probably repeating tired old arguments against home schooling (and I'm not against it). Just wanted to share my $0.02 and open myself for correction (if not outright rebuke).