Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Rachael's learning to read!

Rachael just turned seven this week.

It's interesting to watch how an unschooled child learns how to read. I often would show her "beginner books" that I thought she could probably read, but she almost always dismissed them. Even when she acted excited about wanting to read something herself, whenever I actually suggested it, she said she didn't want to.

Well, in the last few days, she has been reading Judy Blume's Superfudge. I think that's kind of interesting. Hop on Pop? No thanks. Something I actually enjoy? Sure!

Last night she read about two pages of it to me. She was in her top bunk, and I was down in the bottom. There were maybe about five words she had to spell for me and ask what they were. (I just tell her; I don't ask her to sound them out.)

Yes, I've read the book to her, and yes, she's also heard it on tape. So it's kinda like riding with training wheels.

I just think the whole thing is neat. She reads what she wants, when she wants, for as long as she wants. She gets the help she needs. And she is reading (albeit with help) a book that's listed at a 4.2 reading level, even though she has no daily reading or phonics lessons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you and Rachael are so alike..your love of reading (as well as mine) is passed down to our darling!! Congratulations!! To Rachael many years of enjoyable reading are wished to her by her grammy.

Stephanie said...

YEAH Rachael :)

It's awesome to watch the learning process unfold and see all of those months and years of connections taking place.

You know all of my kids are unschooled and read at different ages, it is natural!
You go girl!