Thursday, April 17, 2008

We almost looked like normal homeschoolers today!

This morning I was thinking we actually looked like a "normal," traditional homeschooling family. :)

I woke up (I slept later than usual and was very groggy this morning) and found Rachael sitting on the couch, reading The Berenstain Bears and No Girls Allowed out loud. She continued to read when I sat down next to her.

A couple times she hesitated on a word and I told her what it was. After I did this about three times, Rachael said very patiently, "Mom, sometimes I just get a little confused about where I am and just need a little more time."

She finished the entire book.

[Just for the sake of honest disclosure, she has heard this story about 5-6 times before.]

Stephanie will be so disappointed in me, but I looked up what Reading Level the book was. I couldn't find that exact title, but the BB series appear to be listed at a third grade level. (Rachael just turned seven a couple weeks ago.)

We all stayed in the kitchen after breakfast. (That's what normal homeschoolers often do, right?)

Rachael printed several coloring pages off the Internet from the movie "Enchanted" (with my help.) She put them in order, colored them, made a front and back cover out of pink construction paper, and trimmed another coloring page and taped it on the cover. Right now she's writing words to go with the pictures, while everybody watches "Wiggly Safari." (Ooh, and that's also like "normal homeschoolers," in that it's no TV til the afternoon, and "educational TV" ... ooh, and the kids are going to the zoo tomorrow, so we can say it's a Unit Study! I didn't even think of that!)

As Rachael was working on this (which of course was totally her own idea), she exclaimed, "I've got a big morning project today!"

Rebecca dug out a few maze books and a book called "Summer Skills" that has real colorful workbook pages that she likes a lot and worked on that in the kitchen as well, some with my help and some without.

[BTW, a lot of times people ask if unschoolers can, should, or do use workbooks. The best answer I've ever heard is: Yes, but we use them the same way you would a coloring book.]

Meanwhile Benjamin found a small rubber ball he was bouncing around in the kitchen, and he was pretty happy.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

LOL! I don't want to look like a normal homeschooler.

Here's one for ya, Cassie finished a cursive book and showed it to me the other day.

I told a friend that was over and she just looked at me and jaw dropped and said I didn't think you had that kind of stuff...

I said I have a whole drawer full of coloring books and activity books, I didn't buy it though.
It's just that they are there and sometimes they get written in :)

You know me I think levels are a waste of time and who came up with them anyway?

I'm glad you had a good day Jenny, I hope you ave many more but don't forget that living is learning and we just need to live each day the best we can.