Monday, February 18, 2008

The books I'm not reading

Okay, Robert is having some problems at work and is still there, at almost 11:00 pm, so that's why I'm writing so much this evening ... when I run out of things to right about, I'll probably start eating, so hopefully he'll be home before then ....

I have so many books on my night stand that I am not getting around to reading that it's ridiculous. I have heard people say they stopped reading for about five (or more) years when they had kids, and I keep fighting that, but I'm not doing a very good job.

In the first place (am I an idiot or what), I've been trying to read a Maeve Binchy novel called Firefly Summer that is over six hundred pages long!! It's so good though ... I've read almost 300 pages so far, but it's taken me two months just to do that! I'm going to have so many library late fees I probably should have just bought a copy!

Mary Hood's The Joyful Homeschooler. I think Mary lives about 30 minutes away from us. Interesting; she has five children and got a doctorate degree after they were all born, and then proceeded to write and publish at least two books! I guess she had too much time on her hands with only five kids to raise, huh! I only have three kids and I can't even find time to read her book, let alone get a doctorate in my spare time!

Anyway, I probably read about 75% of that one and am giving up and returning it tomorrow.

What else. What else.

I really wanted to read Neal Boortz's first book on The Fair Tax. I read less than ten pages ... and then it sat and sat on my night stand until I finally gave up on that one too.

Oh, and after waiting for weeks, I finally was next in line at the library to get the infamous Eat, Pray, Love! I'm really curious what I'll think of that one if I ever actually open it! People either say that 1) It was the most moving, inspiring, spiritual, life-changing thing they ever read; or 2) Elizabeth Gilbert is the most whiny, self-absorbed, shallow individual they've ever had the misfortune of having to come in contact with.

Oh yeah, and any day I'm expecting a used copy of Better Than School by Nancy Wallace! When it finally comes in the mail, I can just add it to the pile! I wouldn't be surprised if I audibly heard the book sigh as it lands ...

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

What's a book???
The last 2 I read were Instead of Education and The Unprocessed Child.

Anonymous said...

heh, I hear ya!
At the beginning of '07, after an epic literary drought, I told myself I would read 24 books that year (no, not counting books I read with the kids- OK, so I counted one, it was a long chapter book! ;P) Anyway, I dedicated myself and actually made it through 22. Not bad. So far in '08, I have finished a whopping 1 book, and that was actually one I began in December. *sigh*
-Nicole

Sarah said...

All great choices. I had a bookstore on eBay for 4+ years and promote only books I have read personally. Except the last one as it is out of print, I sold many of the books you've on your nightstand. As for Elizabeth, those who felt the latter doesn't understand the cultural background of a brit. My challenge with reading is that I can't put a book down once I start...like Harry Potter books, I stayed up all night to get to the end! I am in my own world...I am disconnected. dh dislikes that about me and so not looking forward for my reopening our online bookstore soon. Yes, I have to work again to help out.

Blessings,
Sarah