Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Much better Social Studies

Here's some things we've been doing for "Social Studies" at my house. Of course, I don't say, "Okay, now it's time for Social Studies!" We just do it.

I bought a local map, and I've been meaning to sit down with the girls and we all write on it, in different colored markers, where church and the library and Publix and everything is, and trace the routes and stuff, but we haven't gotten around to that yet. (I can blame that on the fact that I'm still recovering from my flu, or whatever it was.) BTW, if you're impressed that that sounds like a good idea, please be assured that it wasn't mine.

If you're been reading here carefully, you already know we've been reading some American Girl books.

There's a hilarious book called The Scrambled States of America that apparently also has a game of the same name. Don't know anything about the game yet.

The book Throw Your Tooth on the Roof is not as funny, but it sure is interesting. It talks about what kids in different cultures and countries do when they lose a tooth. Many of them seem to involve mice and/or throwing or burying the tooth.

If you or your kids like looking at photos of "real people," they would like Children Just Like Me.

Oh, and here's a link to a cool online game where you put in all the states like a puzzle. The girls did this for a while one morning.

I'm sure there's a lot we're not thinking of. I guess every time I talk to the girls about how when I was their age, there was no such as rewinding a show, or skipping commercials, or even choosing to watch it a second time, well, that's Social Studies too! :)

No comments: