Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My favorite children's author

If I had to be on a desert island with my kids and all the books of only one author (which makes no sense, really), the author would definitely be Tomie dePaula.

You gotta like somebody who appeared on Barney, along with his sister Maureen, to read his book The Baby Sister, about when Maureen was born.

The books in his "Tommy" series are all really neat: true stories of his childhood and family. In addition to The Baby Sister, they include:

The Art Lesson
Stagestruck
Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs
Tom
and lots more!

Then he has several really cool stories ... legends, I guess, or tales from different countries, like:

Tony's Bread
Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato
Adelita (a Mexican Cinderella story)
and others!

Then there's the Strega Nona series, which we haven't gotten into much yet, but probably will someday.

And that's not all!

There's the series about The Barkers, the Welsh Terriers (I think) family with twins Morgan and Moffat. (I believe Mr. dePaola has two Welsh Terriers by those names. Like I said, you gotta love this guy.)

And the Bill and Pete series!

Oh, and there's a really clever Christmas book about all of Santa's crazy relatives, called Guess Who's Coming to Santa's for Dinner?

And that's not all!

I'm looking at Amazon now and there are several books on top of all those that I've never heard of ... plus I see some biographies ... oh, I would like that, even if the kids wouldn't ...

I guess I'm headed back to the library -- as usual! :)

No comments: