Wednesday, February 27, 2008

God's calling me ... well, maybe ... hmm ...

This probably sounds pretty obnoxious, but I often wonder if God is calling me to give some sort of parenting and/or homeschooling seminars or talks, or to write a book or something someday when my kids are older.

Would anyone listen to someone whose oldest kid is not quite seven? Would I even have the perspective to say anything Wise and Wonderful anyway?

Anyway, I've felt this way on and off for a couple years, and a couple things just happened this week that made me start thinking about it again.

I was at the park and sitting in the gazebo, where there were two other women who knew each other. I made a little small talk with them. Then one turned to the other and said, "Billy was so bad yesterday at church. We were walking back from communion and he actually started to grab onto and pull at my leg! I mean, come one, he's three years old! We sent him straight to his room when we got home, and we took away two of his toys. I don't know why he acts like that ... I guess we don't punish him often enough."

Stuff like that almost literally gives me a stomach ache. That's just the "common" type of wisdom out there, especially in the Christian community. If that kind of stuff doesn't seem right to you, or doesn't work for your family, you're out of luck. Actually, no, what you need to do is rev it up a notch: take away four toys next time instead of two.

So I would love to speak to young mothers someday and be able to throw all that stuff over on its head.

The problems, though, are:

1) Do people really want to have that stuff thrown on its head, or do they prefer to do things that way, even when they complain about it?

2) Would anyone listen to anythiing I have to say? Who am I?

3) Where would I go to start giving and marketing these supposed speeches that I haven't even written yet? What do I do, just hang up a sign somewhere they I'm going to talking about how to be a good parent in my living room, and please show up if you're interested?

Well, if you have any ideas, please let me know. Oh yeah, and if you happen to be reading this and have a "parenting issue" you would like my advice/experience about, hey, let me give it a whirl! (Although most of the eight people who read this have the same parenting approach I do, so I don't know if I should expect to hear from anybody.)

Hmm, maybe this could be a grass-roots Bizarro John Rosemond column ...

4 comments:

justjuls said...

A lot of times I think that people do just want to remain where they are - and don't want to think differently. It is the path of least resistance.
BUT on the other hand - if you have to say it to 100 people to get one taker - then I think it is worth it.
I had a similar experience the other day with a parent whose child was in my literature class who was supposed have turned in 2 weeks worth of homework - and the mom asked me if she'd done it - and I tried everything I could to cover for the kid - explaining that I had put the work in there late - etc. etc. I KNEW that the girl was going to be getting in trouble later. It made me sick.

Sarah said...

Write away, speech away. You have plenty credential behind you! Remember, people wrote books about parenting, doctors give advices to parents when they don't even have kids of their own. Why shouldn't you! As for reward and punishment, there is no end. If we may share our views and impact one person's life, it's good enough for me. The rest will have to leave for God.

Stephanie said...

You do come across some odd scenarios full of traditional parenting. Why don't you bring those here and blog about them, get many different scenarios and share as needed. Or you could even publish a book of short essays on various real life examples. I would keep my options open, who knows what could happen. I feel the same way about unschooling and respectful parenting and I figure if one more person's eyes are opened then I did some good.
I'm not a writer though but I try.
If someone else could type up what I say that would be really great. I can spout stuff off without batting an eyelash but try writing it down and it loses it's luster.

Sarah said...

Steph, you don't have to be a writer to publisher a book. If you have great ideas for a book which a publisher is interested in, she will find a writer to put your ideas down. Go for it, Jenny and Steph.

Jenny, how are you doing? You have been quiet. I have been thinking March 1 came and went...what was the outcome regarding your sweetie? Praying for you.