Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Just another Stupid School story

I was in a Bible Study last year where one of the members asked us to pray for her sixteen year old daughter, who had mono.

The concern was not so much for her health (although that was part of it), but because the girl was missing several weeks of school and would have a very difficult time making up all the work.

This mildly surprised me, because first of all, I don't remember doing anything of much interest or consequence when I was in high school. Second, you'd think if that much school was missed, and if this coursework was really critical, they would just call that semester a wash (at least for the critical courses) and have her take what she needs in summer school.

A few weeks later I saw this woman, and asked her how her daughter was doing and how the "make-up work" issue was going.

She replied, without a single trace of irony or irritation, that both she and her husband, and a sibling were working hard to get all this schoolwork done. She then said to me, "We have out of town guests staying here this weekend, and I already told them, "You're each getting a few pages of math to do while you're here!"

And she was not kidding!

Need I say more? Do I really have to continue writing to explain why this is one of the most asisine things I have ever heard in my life?

I didn't think so.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's because schools emphasized the importance of attendance. Schools receive funding based on attendance. For us, the school only received half of funding for our oldest daughter when she attended kindergarten. We were very active in fundraising and donated many expensive quilts designed and made by me and dh's services for silent auctions for the school; which brought them plenty to make them whole plus abundance more that what they received from public funding. They couldn't really complain much. So, work the system, Jenny, if you have to.

Stephanie said...

No you don't have to explain...
When I had mono they sent all my work home to me of course I was too sick to do much of it. School is full of busywork and wasted time, why so many people don't see that is beyond me.