Sunday, February 3, 2008

Led Zeppelin at church today!

I'm a substitute pianist at a local Unitarian/Universalist church. Hadn't heard from them for a while, but they called this week saying they needed me for today.

It's a good gig, because it's a one-shot deal: show up, rehearse, do the service, get a check for a hundred dollars, go home and eat. They're also quality musicians over there and the director is very efficient.

Anyway, I was trying to pick what to play for the offertory, and browsing through my music cabinet, I found ... Stairway to Heaven! Aw, perfect!

Robert said to me, "No ....! You'd better check with them about that. That doesn't sound appropriate at all."

Ah, but Unitarians are different!

I had at least six or seven people approach me after the service to say how much they liked it.

Oh, what was also neat was that my mom came to hear me play. She doesn't doesn't know anything about Stairway to Heaven or Led Zeppelin, but she enjoyed both my playing and the service itself.

4 comments:

justjuls said...

Ha ha ha! That is so awesome.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like fun :)
I'd like to hear you play someday.

Deanne said...

You are a hoot!

Chad said...

Read your post about Tori Amos, and I too am a big fan of most of her music (some is mediocre, but the good stuff is really good). Thought you might like to hear my music (URL given in my signoff) - and if you click on the link that talks about the ostinato, you'll see a variety of influences on my music that I name (Tori Amos among them). The audio clips of my own music don't work on the information page right now, but they do on the original link I supplised above.

Chad